[iBook] firmware and clicking

Harriet Heithaus scribe at infionline.net
Tue May 9 06:52:14 PDT 2006

I have -- amazingly -- installed a new 80 gig Toshiba hard drive in a
2001iBook G3 (silver and white model) and am trying to clean-install
OS10 1.2, for which it has the disk, on it.  When I start up the
computer I hear a clicking sound for  a bit, which eventually stops.
All clicks worry me, however, so if anyone's familiar with that, I'd
appreciate reactions.

First: I get as far as selecting the destination for the disk, but my
drive doesn't show up. I gathered I should partition them before I
installed it, so I made one small 357 mgb partition just to say I did
it, and left the rest on the second partition. Now I'm hearing I have
to have the partition for the disk on the first 8 gigs of the hard
drive. I have no clue as to how to find the first 8 gigs, and if my
little 357,000 mgb partition is part of that, have I wrecked my chances
of reinstalling it?

Second, I've read about needing my firmware updated, but any
information I've read about it is way above my head. I'm afraid to do
something wrong that will permanently ruin my chances of installing
OS10 and getting this thing up and running. Is there any resource
explaining firmware and how to update it for novices?

If I ever get done fixing this up, I think I'll be able to build these
things!