[iBook] Upgrading to MacBook

Stan Marks swmarks at allvantage.com
Tue May 30 19:26:33 PDT 2006

I recently sent this iBook G3 700 off to the Apple Service Center for its
FOURTH logic board repair over the past three years (yeah, I shoulda asked
them to replace it long ago...), and now that the extended warranty has
expired, I think its time to invest in one of those new MacBooks...and I'm
ready to order TONIGHT! :)

A couple of questions for those more knowledgeable/tech-savvy than myself:

1. I have a number of music files in iTunes that I purchased from the iTunes
Music Store. Of course, every time they've replaced the logic board, I have
had to re-authorize (or is it re-authenticate?) those files, so they are on
their last go-'round. I know that it is possible to burn those files to a CD
and then import them from the CD again to get around that, but I don't have
a CD burner for this iBook. My wife, however, does have one on her Ti-Book.
Is it possible to connect my iBook to her Ti-Book in such a way that will
allow me to burn those CDs? Firewire Disk Mode, perhaps? If this is not
possible, what would be the best way to approach the problem? Burn the files
to a CD disk image on an external drive, perhaps? (If so, how would I do
that?)

2. I would like to be able to transfer everything from the iBook to the
MacBook in such a way that all my network settings, preferences, etc. are
transferred as painlessly as possible. What would be the best way to
transfer all my data, applications, and settings to the new MacBook?

TIA!
Stan

--
Stan Marks