[iBook] Upgrading to MacBook

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Tue May 30 19:39:24 PDT 2006

Hi Stan,

You should be able to de-autherise your current ibook before you get rid of it -
then you can autherise your new computer, and use the same songs on it.

Burning them to a cd and reimporting them is undesirable - because the sound
quality will detiorate.

In iTunes, you need to go into Advanced -> Deauthorise Computer. This will mean
that you can no longer play the copy protected songs on your iBook. When you
get your new MacBook, copy the songs over, and authorise it. You should be set
to go!

I'll take this opportunity to briefly get on my soap-box:
This is why DRM is bad for consumers (and why I don't shop at ITMS) - it puts
you in a position where you might need to repurchase music you've already
bought - for no reason. That's why I use eMusic (www.emusic.com) - they sell
mp3s, and I know that such a problem can never occur there.

I hope this email helped, and wasn't too tedious ;-)

Cheers,
-Gus