[iBook] iBook with USB 1.1 and iPod problem

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Sun Oct 22 17:57:41 PDT 2006

At 11:19 AM -0700 10/22/06, R Hefner wrote:
>Hiya all,
>
>I am looking at getting a new iPod shuffle or possibly
>a nano, but unfortunately I found
>out they only work with USB 2.0 and my iBook is a G3
>with USB 1.1. Can't afford to
>upgrade the Mac right now...but I have a PC with USB
>2.0.  Could I use the PC to upload
>mp3s for now and then still use the iPod with a Mac in
>the future. In a nutshell...will
>the same iPod work with a Mac and Windows or are they
>two different models?

Two of my daughters and I have Nanos and my wife has a Shuffle.
While my Nano is used with my iBook G4 w/ USB 2.0, the girls'
computers are both G3 iMacs w/ USB 1.1.  The work quite well on the
iMacs.  They are slower to transfer of course and I believe slower to
charge.

My wife's Shuttle is connected to her Wallstreet with a USB 2.0 card
plugged in.  IIRC there is a note about the Shuttle needing either
USB 2.0 or OS 10.3.something.

But, yeah, you can do it without USB 2.0.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA