[iBook] external firewire CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive

Mary H. maryh at brucetelecom.com
Mon Jul 30 13:43:08 PDT 2007

At 2:18 PM -0400 7/30/07, Janice F. Jorgensen wrote:

>Got firmware password removed.

Great.

>Followed the instructions..and attached the firewire cable to both...
>The Ibook (without the DVD drive) shows a flashing world

Hmmm, disconnect the FireWire cable from both Macs, for now. (The
flashing globe tells us that your iBook is set to "Network Disk" for
startup.) I've just reviewed your previous posts and am reminded that
you have no OS on the hard drive of the iBook - it's empty - correct?

If that's the case, the flashing globe should change to a flashing
folder icon with a question mark after a few minits, and then remain
that way. Does this happen? If something else happens instead,
describe it.

>If I plug in the firewire cable to ibook and macbook..i see the drive..etc
>and its files.

Sorry, I'm having trouble following this. I don't understand what
drive you are seeing or where you are seeing it. I'll wait to hear
your answers to the questions I've just asked.

>   I had been able to start new and install some of the osx
>before the dvd drive became unusuable.  The dvd drive quit in the languages.

I don't know what you mean by this. I'll take a guess. You are
referring to a much earlier time - a time when you attempted to
install OS X on the iBook - and it was then that you found the
optical drive to be defective. Correct? Or maybe you mean something
else?