[iBook] stiff lid

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Sat Nov 3 09:30:56 PDT 2007

Hi Don,

Basically the hinge assy on an iBook consist of two hinges with an
extremely tight fit so the screen doesn't flop open and closed. It is
lubricated and I'd guess that yours is drying out. While I've had a
lot of iBooks opened up, I've yet to lubricate the hinges on one, but
it should be as simple as that. The hard part is the disassembly.
Check out the do-it-yourself instructions at ifixit.com (very
thorough). If it looks too difficult, have it professionally done.

Should anything break, it would become an expensive fix as the entire
clutch/bezel assembly would have to be replaced (looks kinda like a
football goal with hinges at the bottom).

-Mark
www.helpmymac.com