[iBook] stiff lid

Sales Dept Wegener Media sales at wegenermedia.com
Sat Nov 3 09:48:47 PDT 2007

Contrary to popular opinion, the hinges on the iBook need to be
lubricated.  They will seize and break if not lubricated.
We repair thousands of these white iBooks for schools and individuals
every year, and we lubricate each one while in our shop.

Lubrication is a simple process.  Just get a can of lithium grease
(pressurized) with a small tube.
White lithium grease is the type that we use, as it penetrates but
doesn't dry out quickly.  This is usually $4-6 at your local hardware
store.
There is no need to disassemble your iBook to do it. Just put the
small tube on the can, to allow you to control the flow and get it
into the hinge.
The hinge is just inside the case edge, where the screen hinge meets
the laptop case.

A small shot in each hinge, followed by rapid movement of the hinge,
to let the grease penetrate the hinge, will properly lubricate your
hinge.

This should be repeated whenever the hinge becomes stuck or stiff.
Probably once every 9-18 months.

Thanks,
David

- - - - -