[iBook] Hard Drive for G3 iBook dual usb

Howard Pettigrew howard.pettigrew at xtra.co.nz
Thu Nov 22 00:33:55 PST 2007

HiJeremy
On 22/11/2007, at 9:53 AM, Jeremy Hendrix wrote:

> I have an old G3 iBook that I bought used a few years ago.  It's
> worked fine until recently.  After many hours spent diagnosing and
> troubleshooting, I finally determined that the hard drive had acquired
> too many bad sectors to continue to work reliably.  As an interim fix,
> I installed SuSE linux to a thumb drive and have been booting from
> that...its a workabe solution, but given that we're talking USB 1.1
> its incredibly slow.  Can anyone point me to:
> -- the specs (i.e. model) of a replacement hard drive AND

I think there was some discussion a long time back that it was
preferable to use 5400 rpm drives as there is an issue with heat if
using 7200 rpm drives but please don't quote me.
You have some amazing parts outlets / online supplies that offer parts
quite cheaply, and especially one off specials for a few days - wish
we could get Mac stuff like that here - places like OWC at http://www.macsales.com/

> -- some sort of how-to on getting into the case without completely
> demolishing it?
There is an excellent iBook take apart here (presuming it is the white
rectangular model, not a clamshell?;

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G3-12-Inch/50/

In terms of the sort of jobs non- technical people may want to do on
their computer / laptop, I would rate this as an 8 out of 10. It is
all about confidence. Be confident you can do it!

I have pulled apart a number of 12 and 14" laptops and in fact have
just picked one up tonight very cheaply for my daughter at Uni. It is
a 14" late model G4 that has the little copper end of the power supply
stuck inside the Power socket in the computer. The teacher at a school
tripped over the power cord! It can't be got out in any way that I
know of, so it has to be replaced. The DC in board (the power socket
part) is a cheap part but the machine has to come apart to replace it.

Anyway, I digress;

My advice would be;

- be methodical

- give yourself plenty of time - allow 2 -3 hours on a kitchen table
with no distractions

- don't be scared to take some time out when the going gets tough -
have some coffee handy - there are some stages where you will have to
stop and take a big breath but you get there

- Work through the pages of the Fixit guide - have a good look at what
you need to do first! If you click on illustrations, they give you a
bigger version of just the illustration. I print these out, and as I
take all the screws out - and there are often 3 or 4 sizes to remove
for one section, I stick them with cellotape in the exact location on
the printed picture of the section I am disassembling. Then, when you
put it back together you know exactly which screw goes where - you
pluck it off the diagram and put it in its place in the laptop - no
mistakes, no screws left over. (I wish there was something similar for
when I replaced the gearbox in my wife's Mazda Familia recently - I
had a very large bolt left over which has always worried me! - She was
just surprised it went Forward when she put it in gear!)

- there are two bad stages in this medical drama

1)- splitting the case = page 7/18. Don't be scared, I know it will
seem like you are putting too much force into it, but it will give.
Once you have done one, you don't think about it and they just pop
apart no problems. Its just we have never done this before and get
worried we will break something.

They talk about using a spudger to prise it open- not sure what this
is but I have used plastic ice cream sticks, one of my wife's large
size knitting needles with flats ground on the end so that it was like
a large plastic screw driver - don't tell her I stole one!  You'll
find something you can use. It needs to be plastic, thin bladed,
strong, but slightly flexible

2) - removing the connector for the mic and speakers, etc (page 12/18)
There is a tiny connector with from memory six fine wires going into
it. There is a red warning on this stage. Be very careful here - use a
long thin nosed pair of pliers very carefully. I broke a wire on the
first one I did - luckily it was a dead one I was just breaking for
parts / practice and the current MacBook I am writing this on was a
replacement for a G4 one of our Apple technicians stuffed up at this
stage, which left it without a microphone - something I can't do
without when teaching KidPIx and Garageband!  It is not that bad -
just be careful.

The only special tool you will need is a Torx T8 screwdriver. I got a
set of Torx with the right size from my local hobby shop. Take your
laptop to make sure it has one the correct size for the screws on the
bottom.

Good luck - don't be scared - be confident and patient and get back to
me (off list) if you need further help

Cheers

H in NZ