[iBook] Got a "new to me" iBook G4/1.42 Ghz Machine - Should I run Tiger or Leopard?

Sweet Bear Cub sweetbearcub at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 03:40:08 PDT 2012

Got a "new to me" iBook G4 with the 1.42 Ghz processor. I bought it for a
song since it appeared to hang on boot with an Apple logo and a spinning
wait animation, and to never move beyond there. I put in a Leopard DVD and
booted it off of that, but got a message that Leopard could not be
installed due to insufficient RAM. 512 MB is pretty intolerable in 2012, so
I ordered a 1 GB upgrade, and will be installing it whenever it arrives,
for a total of 1.5 GB of RAM.

Once that's done - Should I run Tiger 10.4.11 or Leopard 10.5.8?

What are the pros and cons? As far as I know, I will not need to run any
classic OS9 apps, and if I do, I'm sure Basilisk II can help.

Thanks!