[iBook] Upgrading the hard drive of an iBook G4/1.42 Ghz system? Many questions.

Sweet Bear Cub sweetbearcub at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 03:47:28 PDT 2012

I read that the standard hard drive is a 60 GB 4200 RPM ATA/100 unit. 4200
RPM won't cut it. Does the controller support ATA/133, or does it max out
at ATA/100? Also, does it have a capacity limitation, as some WinTel
systems of the era did, being unable to support disks beyond 128 GB in
size? Are there any IDE SSD's out there that will work as an SSD should,
and not either be dog slow (as in sub-1 MB/sec write speeds), that will
allow the machine to properly resume from sleep, and that won't break the
bank? I know that OSX 10.5.8 does not support TRIM, which is needed for
optimal SSD life, but I'm still willing to consider an SSD.

Opinions welcome.