"I figgered it out" Re: [iMac] 10.4.3 full upgrade revs up iMac G5 fans; won't stop

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Tue Nov 1 15:07:40 PST 2005

Geez,

Before I called Apple, I had zapped the PRAM three times and reset the NVRAM with Open Firmware. That did not work.

Apple Customer Service had me go way back and install the original software (Archive and Install), then upgrade to Tiger, they run Software Update.  Took quite a while (hours!), and didn't work.

Then, in desperation, I removed the back of the iMac G5 20" and pressed the Power Management Unit (PMU) reset button, and, voila! the fans are once again behaving.  I shouldd'a thought of that before all the foolishness.  Live [love,] and learn.

--Steve