[iMac] Plantronics DSP-400 USB Headsets

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Sun Nov 13 12:45:25 PST 2005

Folks,

I am strictly a user, retired, and I have nothing at all to do with
either Plantronics or NewEgg.com (my favorite on-line vendor) other
than as a customer.

My wife has a new iMac G5 with built-in speakers and microphone, but
even though the echo problems with Skype and/or Gizmo (another VoIP
application that is Skype-like, but uses standard SIP protocols) were
less noticeable than with my Quicksilver G4 using external speakers
and a USB microphone, there were still issues.  So, I bought her a
Plantronics DSP-400 USB "Ultimate Performance Headset" (earphones
plus microphone in one unit) from NewEgg.com.  It was to have been a
Christmas gift, but she was experiencing echo problems today with
calls to relatives, so I broke down and gave it to her today.  Like
any good Mac-compatible product, it worked as soon as I plugged it
into a USB slot on the back of the iMac.  And, no echo.  I think
these were initially designed for gaming, but they are great for
VoIP, too.  Just for the record, the price is $44 + $5 shipping.

--Steve