[iMac] iMac New or Old Revisited

Mike Longo mliii at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 14 11:13:03 PST 2006

I asked this question a few days ago, but now that some of you are
actually getting your machines, I'll ask it again:
I was all set to order a new iMac G-5 to replace my aging stock Cube (I
also have a 1 G. Titanium Powerbook that serves as the traveling work
computer) when, POOF!...there is now an option: G-5 or Intel Dual Core.
On the one hand, I hate to be a guinea pig and try the first generation
of anything. The G-5 chipset is a known quantity.
On the other hand, assuming the marketing hype isn't too over the top,
speed is a good thing. And the fact that all Macs will move to the
Intel chips this year tells me that the long term support for the Intel
chip versions of software and hardware will be better in the long run.
I don't use the computer for the Pro apps, so that isn't a factor.
I do a bit of digital photography and video, and pretty much use my
current desktop Mac for the typical consumer stuff- a bit of iMovie,
etc.
So, I am asking you experts: what do you think? Intel Dual Core or
stick with the G-5?
Thanks again for the collective wisdom and hands on experience.