[iMac] Clearing old iMac HD

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Sun Sep 9 08:11:48 PDT 2007

Hi Mike,

One thing you should be aware of is that the new iMacs will not run
Mac OS 9.2, so you can trash it and any Classic-only applications
that may have been migrated to your new iMac. They are history!

As far as trashing the unwanted stuff on your old iMac, here is what
I do. First go through all the files on the old iMac that you don't
want and trash them. Then backup the hard drive to another hard drive
using Disk Utility or whatever you may have for the purpose (I use
SuperDuper). Now you would format the iMac's drive using a security
erase (writing zeros across the whole drive). This can be done by
Apple's Disk Utility. You would boot into the CD or DVD disk 1
Installer disk that came with the old machine (hope you still have
it) and pull down one of the menus (I can't remember what it is
labeled but it has Disk Utility listed) and launch Apple Disk
Utility. Select the iMac's disk that will be listed in the left
column and choose to erase it. Go through all the warnings about
losing data, etc. Chose the security erase function (the first level
will suffice - writing zeros across the drive).

Then you would restore the backup to your iMac's drive. You can now
safely deliver the machine to whatever charity you chose.

Alternatively you can just put the unwanted stuff in the trash and
use the Finder's Security Empty Trash function. The problem here is
that it is agonizingly slow. If you have many files, it might take
hours for the trash to empty, but it works. The former method gives
you a much cleaner and meaner volume.

Good luck.

jg