[iTunes] Re: MPEG/AIFF

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Wed Apr 9 05:08:46 PDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 GRABOYES at aol.com wrote:

> If you are making a copy of a CD using iTunes, for best quality should you
> import using MP3, AIFF or WAV? Does it matter? If I understand your last
> answer any format in iTunes will automaticly convert to AIFF when burn to a
> CD.

To keep the best quality possible, import using AIFF. The problem is that
AIFF requires nearly 10 MB per minute of music, so for multiple CDs, you
neeed lots of HD space. MP3s with decent quality bit rates typically are
1-3 MB per minute.

If you want to copy a CD exactly, your best bet is to get Toast and use
it's CD copy feature (I have not used Toast in several years, so I am
assuming that this feature still exists). If you don't want to use
Toast, in iTunes, import the CD as AIFF. Then make a playlist for that CD
and burn in iTunes. Note: I have not tried this, but it *should* work. I
normally burn from my MP3s with acceptable results for my purposes, though
I rarely do that anymore thanks to the good ol' iPod.

Allan