[iTunes] Vinyl to mp3 via itunes on an eMac

Frank M Flynn frank at declan.com
Tue Dec 30 19:40:18 PST 2003

Brian,

You will need software - Amadeus II (http://www.hairersoft.com/) is one
I have used but there are several others.

And you will need a preamp for the turntable; this might be built in
your but most likely is not (not usually on the higher quality ones).
So now you have a line level signal out of the turn table.

I don't know about eMacs
If you've got a line in just plug it in (with the appropriate adaptor)
If you've got a Microphone input you will need to lower the signal (you
use an "Attenuator" - one for each channel; these are inexpensive) and
get the correct stereo "Y" connector.
If you don't have any of those inputs you can buy a Grffin "iMic"
(http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/) which will plug into
your USB and then your amplifier.

Another possibility is to use a digital Camcorder (if you're got one) -
simply record the record onto the video camcorder and then import the
video into your mac using iMovie.  Once there you separate the audio
from the video (simple menu option) and copy the audio from iMovie and
paste it into Amadeus II  (or whatever) then save as MP3.

Good Luck,
Frank