USB audio device issues

Brian Thorpe brithor52 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 19:39:28 PDT 2003

About a year ago I began a thread concerning application crashes caused
by unplugging my iMic (Griffin Technology). I got some helpful info
from Griffin regarding the use of USB audio devices in general. But
Griffin stated that they did not know of any issues such as mine and
they suggested that it might be my system or possibly a bad iMic. They
actually offered to replace it at no charge, which I considered rather
generous since there was never a question about purchase date. I
declined the offer and continued my research.

Recently I read an Apple KnowledgeBase article that mentioned something
about trouble with USB audio devices. I was a bit vague.

And tonight I read in the help file of Rogue Amoeba's Detour software
it states...
--------------------
Known Issues
	-If a USB audio device such as the Griffin iMic is unplugged while it
is in use (such as by Detour to route audio), applications may crash.
This is due to a bug in OS X 10.2.4 and higher. This bug has been
discussed with Apple, and should be fixed in a future version of Jaguar.

I'm glad it was this because it removes suspicions I harbored against
certain third party SW that I thought might have been the culprit.

Just thought I add some belated closure to that thread.

bri