[iTunes] Re: Booting from iPod

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sun Jul 13 21:27:36 PDT 2003

I do it all the time. But these instructions are not how. You need to
use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy and BLESS a system onto the iPod so it
will boot from the iPod. Otherwise it won't boot.

<http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html>

On Sunday, July 13, 2003, at 01:04  PM, William E. Lane wrote:

> On Sunday, July 13, 2003, at 02:01  PM, Terry Pogue wrote:
>
>>> Is it possible to install and boot OS X off of iPod?
>>>

>>> Sam
>>>
>> No you can't boot from iPod.
>
> I disagree
>
> From here
>
> http://www.macworld.com/2002/05/secrets/mac911/
>
> is this snippet
>
> I Boot from iPod
>
> I have read repeatedly about the possibility of putting a bootable
> version of OS 9 or OS X (or even both) on an iPod. How do I do this
> without damaging the music part of it? And how do I boot from an iPod?
>
> -- Sebi Meyer, Macworld Forums
> As we used to say in the funked-up seventies, "Ain't no thang." (For
> those of you who aren't hep to this jive, it means "this isn't a big
> deal.") Just attach the iPod to your FireWire Mac. If iTunes 2 doesn't
> pop open on its own, launch it. In the iPod Preferences window, select
> the Enable FireWire Disk Use option.
>
> Now restart your Mac. Once your iPod has mounted, insert an OS
> installation disc (either Mac OS 9.2 or OS X) and run the installer.
> When the installer asks where you'd like to install the operating
> system, navigate to the iPod and click on Continue to step through the
> rest of the installation. When you want to boot from your iPod, plug
> it into your Mac. Once it's mounted, select it as the start-up disk in
> OS 9's Startup Disk control panel or in OS X's Startup Disk system
> preference. Restart your Mac to boot from the iPod.
>
> It can be done.
>

> __
> William Lane
> Calgary, Canada
> via Mac OSX - Mail
kunga10 (AIM)

"iChat AV, The Killer App" <http://www.osx-zone.com>
"We're Looking At A Long Period of Labor 'til January"
<http://www.apple-zone.com>
"Verax MDD-FW800 Silence Kit Kills Almost All The Noise"
<http://www.apple-zone.com>
"iPod Software 2.0.1 Update Released" <http://www.ipod-zone.com>