Disappearing artist names??

Greg greg at blink45.com
Tue Mar 4 00:07:59 PST 2003

    Alright, I have a seriously weird problem...

    The artist name on a number of songs keep disappearing! Seriously.
And it seems to go in a somewhat alphabetical order as well (but not
predictably). For example, my 'Miller's Crossing' score had all of the
Carter Burwell songs blank, but the one by Frank Patterson was still
listed.
    When the songs play (or you get info on them), the artist name will
re-appear (after about a 4 second 'freeze'), so it obviously 'knows'
the info somewhere... But until that happens, the info isn't searchable
(ie a search of "Carter" would have left out 'Miller's Crossing'), so
it is incredibly frustrating. Plus, I have worked very hard to keep my
MP3 collection organized, and this plays havoc with it!

    This happened a lot in iTunes 2 (enough to where I was very close to
junking iTunes!), but seemed to go away with iTunes 3. However, I think
that upgrade happened around the same time I spilt my enormous library
into two different ones (one for 'Rock' and one for 'film scores'). Now
that the problem has started to re-appear, I think I can cancel that
out...
    Does anyone know if there is there some known bugs once the library
reaches a certain size, like say 22,000 songs? I know the limit is
somewhere around 32,000...

    Please help... I love my iTunes, but this is driving me crazier than
usual!!