BPM

Jeff Curto jeff at jeffcurto.com
Thu May 1 19:03:08 PDT 2003

on 5/1/03 7:18pm, the delightfully dancing digits of Anton tapped:

> iTunes 4 has a new tag entry 'BPM' which is listed in the column view
> options as 'beats per minute'. Is this just the musical notation
> 'beats' or something else.
>

> Thanks
> Anton

Being a mild-mannered college professor, I'm not really sure *how* I know
this, but...

BPM (beats per minute) is something used by club DJs to keep da groove
goin'; especially with techno, trance and house music. You get something
going at 140 to 200 (and beyond) BPM, it's hard to stay in your shoes.

It's handy to have an indication of how many BPM you have so that other
songs you may have in the mix will match up in terms of tempo.

Also, dancers of all sorts have long used the BPM term to describe music
that's appropriate for various dancing activities.

So, since iTunes and the iPod are being used by a lot of DJ types, it's a
helpful thing for them to have (note that Smart Playlists can now be created
based on BPM).

--Jeff "I don't get out much" Curto