iTunes 4 or 10.2.6??

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Sat May 10 08:47:01 PDT 2003

My mp3 library resides on a linux box in the basement. The directory is
mounted via NFS on my cube. Pre iTunes 4 and 10.2.6, this worked pretty
well. Still does, actually, but there is a new quirk. You see, I rip &
encode on the linux box, because I think that the resulting mp3 files
sound better than what I get with iTunes. The problem is that the setup I
have on the linux box does not get the year & genre correct (and often
there are other ID3 tag touchups that I need to do). Comments are also
often not correct for my tastes. So, after I add new files to the library,
I need to do a bulk ID3 tag correction.

Last night was the first time I added new CDs to my iTunes library after
the iTunes4 and 10.2.6 upgrades. I added 3, to be sure. So, for each of
the 3 new CDs, I added the files to my iTunes library, then selected the
tracks and did a command-I to update the tags of all album tracks
simultaneously. For each of the 3 albums, it only updated the even number
tracks! Subsequent bulk-updates of the track info would correct more of
the tracks, but the first one would never update, after 4-5 tries, unless
I selected it individually and changed the info.

I know the NFS mounted MP3 library is probably relatively unique, but has
anyone else seen anything like this? Is it a coincidence or a result of
iTunes4 or 10.2.6??

Thanks,

Allan