'Key Words' for iTunes Solved ?

Tony Wilson tonydw at comcast.net
Sat May 10 08:24:47 PDT 2003

> using the "Comments" field.  You can then use
> the "contains" option for the smart playlists, and you'll be able to
> add an arbitrary number of keywords to each song.

I was more interested in doing a quick column sort to zero in on
certain criteria such as just instrumental tracks. I find I mostly use
iTunes with a large shuffled selection, just the genre generally, but
would like a handy method to narrow that down. I've used the comment
field to first list the 'label/album code', for sorting by that, then
list the various players & instrument for searches; this is also the
info from the cd insert I want if/when I trade-in the original cd. Use
the BPM field for key codes and you can do a mass tagging of many
albums or artists at once without messing with comments that are unique
for every track.

By way of reference, anyone know the size limit on the comment field;
do searches choke when the comment fields are large and numerous. I
have thought that storing all info you want (that is not already
covered by tags) as an XML doc in the comment field would be useful. A
mini app that made it easy to write your info [auto-fill feature for
the instruments,players, etc] and then wrote the results to the comment
field as XML; the same or a different app could search this
'comment-XML' and translate results to html for display in your web
browser.

----
Tony