[iTunes] Re: New iPods Accessories

Robert Finlay rfinlay at westwood.k12.nj.us
Fri May 23 05:33:58 PDT 2003

on 5/22/03 5:29 PM, Ron Skinner at rskinner at lvcm.com wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone on the list other than me uses headphone amplifiers
> and audiophile class headphones with their iPods. Anyone?
>
> Ron
>

> ----------

Yes indeed. The Etymotic E4P earplug style headphones bring out the best
from my iPod even without an amp. I have not tried a  headphone amp simply
because it is one more thing to tote around and seems to me to make the iPod
less portable. So far I am quite happy with the ampless E4P's. The
Etymotics, while quite pricey, effectively shut out most outside noise and
give crystal clear sound throughout their range. I actually hear the bass
being played instead of feeling it thumping in my ear. I hear music in songs
I've never heard before even though I've listened to these same CD's
hundreds of times.

I am no audiophile but I rationalized my purchase of the E4P's by
considering how much I had invested in an iPod and how disappointed I was
with the original ill-fitting, crappy sounding earpiece phones that came
with it. Of course if you can't tolerate something in your ear these are not
for you. You also have to watch the volume, particularly when you first turn
on your iPod/iTunes. I find them very comfortable and have worn them for a
couple of hours straight many times, listening to iTunes while doing other
tasks on my iBook. Check  out www.headphone.com for their prices, good
service and extensive discussion of all things related to quality
headphones.

Bob