[iTunes] Re: iTunes Speed/Performance Feedback

Norm LeMieux ntlm100 at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 17:18:15 PDT 2003

Kunga:

I'm not suggesting you do that with all 3000 discs :-)

I'm providing an exercise to determine where the bottleneck is.

Yes, making an immage takes a long time, but you should also choose the
"Master" setting with no compression. A further exercise would be to
benchmark both the compressed and uncompressed versions to see how each
taxes you CPUs.

Reading from a disk image should give you a peak source of 66MB/s (sustained
20-30MB, depennding upon the drives capacity), compare to the reader's peak
of 7.8MB/s and sustained average of ~5.4MB/s.

It should also speed things if your source and destination drives were
different (not just different partitions), and higher-capacity drives
typically have higher sustained throughput.

-ntlm-