[iTunes] Re: iTunes Speed/Performance Feedback

Norm LeMieux ntlm100 at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 18:07:36 PDT 2003

You're right, but it was a worthy exercise.

On my dual-1G (with big L3), I get a max of 16.8x and it doesn't matter
where on the CD it's coming from, when using my Pioneer 105, which is only a
32x reader. CPU utilization never significantly passed over 100% (got to
105% once), and as you've seen, utilization varies across both processors.

I could not Import from a mounted disk image (I wonder why?) so I had to
copy the AIFFs into iTunes, then Convert to AAC. Speed was the same.

You may have stumbled upon a Unix "niceness", where programs are forced to
share processor wealth. From the command line, you should be able to
manually launch applications with options allowing them to use more power.
For example, using the "nice" command makes your process use "lower than
normal priority". I THINK there's someway to do this, but a quick cursoy
examination of my Unix books (and The Missing Manual) don't show anything.

-ntlm-