[iTunes] Re: the new, true line out

Ron Skinner rskinner at lvcm.com
Wed May 28 01:15:50 PDT 2003

Believe it or not, you can already record with the iPod--for six seconds.
:-) Longer recording is certainly possible, but whether or not this ability
will be implemented via a firmware update or a new iPod generation is
anyone's guess.

Actually, the 'Pod has a ton of untapped potential, some of which will
undoubtedly require new I/O hardware. That new proprietary connector on the
bottom of this generation that some insist on bitching about will actually
open the door to much greater functionality. The current OS is using only a
fraction of the iPod's processing punch.

Regarding the IC requirements for the line-out, they are the same as you're
using now: a mini plug to RCA pins. As you may know, two other accessory
docks are in the works, one apparently using a standard RCA/RCA IC. This one
will include a few other touches according to the rumor mills.

Concerning the audio improvements to be expected with the line-out versus
the headphone output, this depends on what you're connecting it to. In a
component system with decent speakers you will hear an improvement. With
quality headphones and an amp you will hear still more improvement. With a
bookshelf system or boombox, you will likely gain very little.

As for buying a 20 rather than the new 15, that's a toughie. I have 5, 20
and 30 gig models, and much prefer the new 30. If I owned a 10, I'm sure I
wouldn't buy a 20 at this point.

I strongly recommend that you upgrade to iTunes 4.0. The ability to rip to
AAC is a major plus, and your iPod will love you for it.

Ron