[iTunes] Re: Mr Skinner and new iPods

Steve sw at carolina.rr.com
Thu May 29 11:08:06 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 02:27 AM, Kunga wrote:

> Yes. Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) turns out to be the only way to make
> iPods Jaguar boot-able. I learned the hard way. After numerous
> installs of a boot-able 9 and a hanging 10.2.1 or 10.2.6 I finally got
> frustrated and called a leading expert on the subject of iPods who
> happens to be a neighbor. Chris Breen author of the Peachpit Press
> book "Secrets of the iPod" told me this morning that you have to use
> CCC to get Jaguar to boot from an iPod. He says Apple isn't saying
> why. So I spent this evening building a new "perfect" OS X .2.6 with
> all the goodies I want on my Pod.

> Between all the goodies and both systems, it's about 2 GB. So you will
> still be able to put a lot of songs on that 5. Anyone who doesn't use
> their iPod as a personal portable Mac boot drive is overlooking one of
> its main attributes. No matter where you go, if there's a Mac in the
> house, you can make it your own with nothing more than your customized
> system's iPod and a FW cable. Also, the beauty of the "Old" models is
> that they run with a standard FW cable and that they also can relate
> musically to the laggard's OS 9 iTunes 2.0.4.

>> I'm thinking of getting the 20 and relegating the 5 to utility
>> startup disk. Anyone out there using the older iPods that way? How do
>> you set that up, with ccloner?

  So what method did you use to make this super utility 'Pod?

Did  you first set up a partition with OS X and then CCC'd it to the
pod, then copy the 9 system folder?
Did you have to remove the music first and then put it back?
How did you make an OS X system that small?  How small was it and can
you make it any smaller?

I love to make my newly acquired 10G load up X with all my
troubleshooting apps.

Steve