[iTunes] OS 9 & X iPod Installation Intrructions

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Thu May 29 13:00:31 PDT 2003

Warning: This assumes you have a broadband connection to the internet.
Without one, this is almost impossible to do correctly and up to date.
My tweaked update folder full of downloads is 280 MB small. The tweaked
for the Pod partition is 1.87 GB. It was only 1GB after the 10.2.1
basic install. ; ^ ) Of course your setup will be different. But there
are a lot of updates and downloads that make broadband an important
part of today's internet lifestyle essential. Dial-up is just not a
practical way of communicating with the world if you are intent on
being current. And broadband is getting a lot cheaper. SBC now offers
it for less than $30 a month. I still pay Earthlink $50 a month
(contract).

I did a virgin 10.2.1 install on a fresh partition I setup on one of my
empty HDs. NOTE: OfficeMax is selling 8MB buffered WD 7200 RPM 120GB
HDs this week for $60 after rebate. You need to DEselect all the
options in the Customize except BSD. That way you do not need disk 2
and don't install all the obsolete versions of iTunes, iMovie, and
iPhoto. This only take 1GB of space. Then you build out this new system
with all the updaters 10.2.6 Combo, QT 6.2, Java 1.4.1, Safari v74, IE
5.2.2 etc. and third party tricks like LiteSwitch X, ASM, Minimize In
Place, TigerLaunch etc. whatever you like. Tweak it to the way you like
it. Takes me a couple of hours to tweak a new system to the point where
it is the way I want it. Apple leaves so much to do to get it right.
But that's half the fun right?

Meanwhile, I used the 1.3 iPod updater to put the iPod back to empty
new (the songs are still on your Mac's HD right? So putting them back
on after the systems is no big whoop.) and installed 9.2.2 from a CD I
have of that system directly onto the empty reset iPod first.
Customized that install to minimize unnecessary parts of the regular
install. Then spent a couple of hours tweaking that baby up to current
snuff. You have to run the updater about 6 times before all the updates
are complete on a new 9.2.2 install. They invented quite a few new
libraries and airport and applescript updates since the last 9.2.2
install disk rolled off the presses. Remember that just because you
have run all the updates once does not mean you have run all the
updates. Each round of updates leads to another round of them and so
forth. I think it took at least 3 rounds maybe 6 before the updater
finally reported there were no more to be run.

Stuffit 7.0.3, IE 5.1.6, LiteSwitch, your own desktop color, fonts etc.
Finally 9 is just the way you like it. NOTE: it will not reboot from
there. Hold down the option key on reboot and choose your X startup,
then choose from the X Startup Disk preference the iPod 9.2.2 and it
will boot from there. That's why running the System Update from the
Pod's 9 takes so long. You have to reboot to X first each time you
really want to boot into the Pod's 9 directly. Pain in the rear.
Anyway, build out your 9 as far as you like before getting to the
virgin X you built earlier. All your 9 diagnostic tools etc.

Then when your 9 is perfect, boot into X (not necessarily the perfect
one). Now comes CCC. Boot that puppy and Make sure everything
pertaining to X is included (like the invisible files). That's why I
thinking building a new copy on an empty partition is a good idea. That
way you don't have to skip the Applications folder of your regular
system because you are tweaking the new one for the Pod. I even have a
folder full of downloads of all the current updaters and utilities so I
can perform them on other's Macs in the field where they usually don't
have broadband.

After running CCC you will now have an iPod of about 2GB full that has
both systems up-to-date and looking exactly the way you want them to.
Add music and you are styling with YOUR Mac in your pocket. You never
have to put up with anyone else's Mac ever again. Just plug your Pod
in, run the Startup Disk preference or Control Panel and will be
looking at YOUR Mac a minute later. Cool. Way cool.

Any more questions?