Shayne's sad tale

Les Posen lesposen at mac.com
Thu Feb 12 18:43:07 PST 2004

On 13/02/2004, at 1:22 PM, iTunesList wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:08:16 -0800
> Subject: [iTunes] Re: Active
> From: Shayne Croy <croyphoto at acsalaska.net>
>
> OK, I can't resist. How's this for "no trouble"? Last night, following
> advice from various sources, I was attempting to move my Itunes music(
> approximately 1600 cds worth) onto a Lacie external hard drive,
> eliminate duplicate files, and take some music(30 gigs) off my Ipod
> using Ipodrip... Care to guess where I'm going with this?... It's all
> gone. All of it. Ipod? Gone. Itunes? Empty. Lacie drive? Fragments with
> no rhyme or reason. Sadly, I am fairly certain most of this falls
> squarely on me, with the possible exception of Mr. Lacie's role. Not
> quite sure why it selectively choose certain files to save, but...
> Anyhoo, just a little cautionary tale. The moral? If you don't know,
> ask. If the answer is confusing?For GOD'S sake, risk looking stupid and
> ask again! Well, I gotta go, I have 1600 cds to rip...
> Shayne Croy
> Homer, Alaska

I can just imagine how you feel, heart thumping and stuck in the
throat! Any computer user (PCs especially) know this awful feeling too
well!

I had my Powerbook stolen last year, and got it replaced new last
month. Of course my iPod isn't recognised by it, so using one of the
shareware devices, I created a new Library in iTunes, so at least the
music is backed up. Now I have to reset the iPod to autosync with
iTunes.

Also, because I run folk dance evenings with iTunes I am exploring
other ways to deliver music, including ones where I manipulate
crossfeed or segues, as well as pitch/temp control. So far the one I
have tried which works best is Megaseg. It looks for music in your
iTunes folder to begin with, and if you have added new music, it can be
made to look for the new material. It also looks on the iPod too. It
has better file manipulation capacities than iTunes, and can adjust
pitch and beat. It is often used by pro DJs and automated radio
stations.

Worth looking at when you want to advance beyond iTunes for a specific
purpose. Now if iTunes was to get split play lists (ie two playlists
seen side by side so you can mix and match) and speed control, then I
would prefer its interface to Megaseg's.

Les