Recompressing AAC and Visuals Problem

ecirwin at mac.com ecirwin at mac.com
Tue Jan 13 14:36:21 PST 2004

> Is there away to reduce the bit rate of an AAC file from 192 to 128
> without
> losing the quality of the track?
>
> Also, why is it that my visuals are not filling up the whole monitor
> when I
> turn it on. The display is smaller than the actual monitor.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> Sam

Sam,

You are going to lose some quality by ripping down to 128 from 192.
There are people here and elsewhere that will think you are nuts and
tell you to never do this.  I would say that you should experiment with
it and see if you notice the difference.  If the reduction in quality
is noticeable to you, then there is no way to reduce the bit rate to
128 from 192.

For experimentation, you will just need to change the settings in
iTunes preferences.  Change the encoding settings so that they are at
128 AAC.  Select the songs you want to change and then select
Advanced/Convert Selection to AAC.  That should down sample the file to
128.

Now do your listening tests to determine if this is acceptable.  My
listening environments for AAC or MP3 files are not up to esoteric
levels, so I don't mind the loss in quality.  If I really want to
listen to music critically, I pop in the CD and crank up the home
theater.   The car, the computer, and work are generally the places
where I listen to the ripped files.

As for the visualizer problem, I have no idea.  I am running a TiBook
400 with OSX 10.3.2 and don't have the problem.  I am assuming that the
visualization is not in the iTunes window, but that the whole screen
goes black but the visuals just don't fill the screen.  If the visuals
are in a window, just click on Visualizer/Full Screen.  Other than
that, i don't have an answer for you.

Eric