[iTunes] Re: Moving and combining music folders, libraries.

David Wilson wilson at brandeis.edu
Mon Jan 26 15:27:33 PST 2004

I have many gigs of material I'm managing on several drives. Some
material was put on the wrong hard drive by mistake.
I moved them in finder to the correct Hard drive.
I now have many files that have lost their link. What's the fast way to
re link.
I looked at this post below too late, and I still don't quite
understand it-
When you consolidate, it looks to the former import folder, and moves
everything
to the new folder you've set as the import folder, or does Consolidate
search and find *ALL* auido files on *ALL* drives and copy them to that
location you've specified?
I'm afraid to do this, as I have a lot of other audio I don't want
copied into the itunes folder.

Would dragging the correct itunes library folder in finder over the
itunes dock icon relink everything
and not duplicate items? Would it wipe out links to audio on other
drives? I looked thru the Apple site,
and couldn't find a comprehensive manual on disk management.
I have so much cataloged, I don't want to make a gigantic error here.

On Dec 27, 2003, at 11:47 PM, Kevin O'Hanlon € Rogue Productions wrote:

> Hi and thanks for posting back.  I made this mistake once myself and
> it took
> forever to fix everything, if I have fully.  The below post seems to
> be the
> correct procedure for moving iTunes media from one drive to another and
> combing two folders or media spread across different drives and
> maintaining
> the links accurately.  Hope this helps your future efforts.
>
> Warm regards,
>

> Kevin
>

>> Might be a junior question but could somebody post back line on the
>> drill
>> for combining itunes folders spread over two drives onto one.  I want
>> ensure I retain all my playlists and album art.
>
> Kevin,
>
> The easy way to do this if I understand your question correctly is:
>
> Under the iTunes/Preferences/Advanced set the music folder to the one
> you
> want
> Click Advanced/Consolidate Library
> iTunes will copy all the songs from the one directory to the one you
> just
> set and then you can use the Finder to delete the folder or files that
> were
> copied.
>
> This method will leave all playlists and data intact.  Do not move the
> files
> in the Finder or you will lose all the stuff you have worked so hard
> creating.
>
> HTH,

> <iTunes-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <iTunes-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> ----------
> Mac ISP
> http://macinternetaccess.com
>
> Keyspan   | New Digital Media Remote, great for MP3 players and CD
> players.
> Dr. Bott  | Now $49.00  <http://www.drbott.com/prod/keyspan.html>

David Wilson
Artist in Residence in Lighting and Sound
Spingold Theater
Brandeis University
Waltham MA 02454
USA