[iTunes] Re: iTunes Digest, Vol 2, Issue 3

ecirwin at mac.com ecirwin at mac.com
Wed Oct 13 13:52:39 PDT 2004

Axxll,

It sounds like you do have quite a few duplicates.  It does worry me
that you have 1000 more songs in the "itunes" file than you do in the
"itunes music" file.  If you have a good explanation for that then
don't worry.

If you really want to be certain that the library is intact then I
would do the following:

Open the iTunes Preferences and select the Advanced tab.
On the Advanced tab you can select the iTunes music folder location.
Change that folder location to something new.  Make sure you have
enough room in the new location for all your music files.  Check the
bottom of the iTunes main window for an approximate amount needed.
Close the iTunes Preferences.
 From the menu bar in iTunes select the Advanced drop down menu and then
select Consolidate Library from that drop down.
This will copy all the music in your iTunes to the new location.
/user/axxll/music/itunes/itunes music and delete all the files and
folders except for a folder labeled "itunes", if it exists.  That
folder has all the database info for your music library.

Now you can move the files back, if you want, using the same process as
above.

If you follow this process, all your playlists, play counts, ratings,
etc will stay intact.  I have used this method several times and in
fact it has just been documented at ipodlounge.com
(http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_more.php?id=5220_0_8_0_M).

Eric