[iTunes] backing up library

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Sun Apr 17 11:45:51 PDT 2005

On Apr 17, 2005, at 8:36 PM, Terry Pogue wrote:

> I just burned my music library to DVDs. It took 12 DVDs to hold it
> all. There are all audiobooks, no music. I saved the directions for
> backing up using a smartlist. Now that I have everything backed up
> on DVDs I figure to do the next backup using the 4/15/05 date. I
> take it it will only add the books I have put into the system after
> that date. Is that correct? Any suggestions for how I keep a record
> of what's on each DVD? On the initial 12 I just put the initials of
> the books. So all of the books on the first disc start with the
> letter "A". Should be a better way to keep track. Maybe a FilePro
> database with the discs numbered??? Any ideas?

First, your smart playlist for your next backup should be Date Added
is after 4/15/05.

As to keeping a record; if you go to your iTunes library, then select
File > Export Song List, you'll be able to save a text file with the
names and other info of everything you've just backed up.

The next time you back up, do the same with the smart playlist
visible; you'll save a list of what's in that playlist only.

> I also have five drives with lots of space so I'd like to put the
> music library on another drive just to protect it. I figure you can
> never have too many back-ups. Do I just simply drag that library to
> the chosen drive or is it more complicated than that?
> Thanks very much for the help.

Yes, copy your iTunes Music folder to another drive.

Extra backups are a Good Thing.

Kirk

                       Author of: iPod & iTunes Garage
                      http://www.mcelhearn.com/ipod.html
       Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France