[iTunes] iTunes network problem

David Wilson wilson at brandeis.edu
Thu Aug 25 14:12:00 PDT 2005

I'm setting up an iTunes server for a sound design class- putting
about 80 cd's worth of sound effects
cd's available for the students to listen to and decide what they
need for the project their working on.

I just tried it out today and hit a snag - I knew there was a limit
of 5 simultaneous connections
(there are 8 in the class, I was going to set up 2 separate identical
hard drives on 2 separate networked
computers). But the message that came up when I tried to connect on a
6th computer that
there is a limit of 5 networked users PER DAY. Is there any way
around this? This makes administration of
this much tougher, and prone to many headaches that I don't need.
Or is there another shareware app that would let users see and listen
to iTunes over the network
without this roadblock. Even better - would allow them to download
the track to their computer to work with after they
audition it.

David Wilson
Artist in Residence in Lighting and Sound
Spingold Theater
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA
USA