[iTunes] converting .aiff files to .mp3

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Thu Sep 22 06:27:36 PDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2005, at 3:05 PM, Lynda Farabee wrote:
>

>> I've been having the devil of a time recently doing the above!  A
>> CD is recorded of a church service. My job is to convert the
>> sermon track into .mp3 and upload to website.  Everything has gone
>> well for over a year....until this past July, probably. I can't
>> pin the problem down to possibly using Tiger or an upgrade of
>> iTunes.  At any rate, using iTunes 4.9 and OS 10.2.4....I can no
>> longer accomplish my task.
>>
>> I select the track on the CD and under advanced menu, choose
>> convert to mp3. The process appears to work but the resulting file
>> is silent, no audio at all.  THEN the CD becomes apparently
>> "damaged"....I can no longer play that track and sometime, cannot
>> play a track or two on either side of the sermon track. However
>> tracks 1, 2, & 3 usually play.
>>
>> Does anyone have suggestions on what might be going on?  Thanks. -L
>>

> I've been scratching my head over this off-list. It should be noted
> that the CD is recorded with a standalone audio CD recorder. I
> think the problem is there - that the recorder is doing something
> weird - but I can't provide a solution...

Is the CD being "closed" (track at once, disk at once) or what format
is the CD Recorder recording (redbook, etc...)? Perhaps someone
flipped a switch on the recorder?

One thing to try is to copy the aiff file to your desktop, and add it
to iTunes, and try to convert that to mp3. Or try a windows machine
(sorry!).