[iTunes] converting .aiff files to .mp3

Lynda Farabee farabee at sptc.net
Thu Sep 22 06:36:44 PDT 2005

At 9:27 AM -0400 9/22/05, John Pariseau wrote:
>On Sep 22, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Kirk McElhearn wrote:
>
>>On Sep 22, 2005, at 3:05 PM, Lynda Farabee wrote:
>>
>>>I've been having the devil of a time recently doing the above!  A
>>>CD is recorded of a church service. My job is to convert the
>>>sermon track into .mp3 and upload to website.  Everything has gone
>>>well for over a year....until this past July, probably. I can't
>>>pin the problem down to possibly using Tiger or an upgrade of
>>>iTunes.  At any rate, using iTunes 4.9 and OS 10.2.4....I can no
>>>longer accomplish my task.
>>>
>>>I select the track on the CD and under advanced menu, choose
>>>convert to mp3. The process appears to work but the resulting file
>>>is silent, no audio at all.  THEN the CD becomes apparently
>>>"damaged"....I can no longer play that track and sometime, cannot
>>>play a track or two on either side of the sermon track. However
>>>tracks 1, 2, & 3 usually play.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have suggestions on what might be going on?  Thanks. -L
>>>

>>I've been scratching my head over this off-list. It should be noted
>>that the CD is recorded with a standalone audio CD recorder. I
>>think the problem is there - that the recorder is doing something
>>weird - but I can't provide a solution...
>
>Is the CD being "closed" (track at once, disk at once) or what
>format is the CD Recorder recording (redbook, etc...)? Perhaps
>someone flipped a switch on the recorder?

You're talking over my head here.  I "finalize" the CD when the
service is finished. Otherwise it is not recognized at all.  What
switch might be flipped? ;-)

>One thing to try is to copy the aiff file to your desktop, and add
>it to iTunes, and try to convert that to mp3. Or try a windows
>machine (sorry!).
>_

Altho I can work with the individual sermon files on the CD provided
by PC person, I have to use Audion.  iTunes doesn't recognize the CD.
It's on my desktop but not seen through iTunes. They are .wma files.
--
--Lynda
http://www.eddfarabee.com/    and        http://www.fpc-levelland.org