[iTunes] Which Format to encode Music Files?

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 29 09:29:48 PDT 2006

On Jun 29, 2006, at 6:24 PM, David DelMonte wrote:

> Hi Kirk, thanks for the fast response. What is your opinion of
> Apple Lossless?

Ah, that's another story... If you think you can hear the difference
between lossless and good-quality AAC files, I'd suggest you try a
blind listening test. Try encoding a few tracks in lossless, then AAC
at 128, 160, 192, 256 and 320 kbps. See if you can hear the
difference, and with which files.

For myself, I settled on 160 kbps AAC. I have a lot of classical
music, and I can hear the difference (in some cases) between 160 and
128. Better than 160, even on very good speakers, doesn't make a
difference to me. So, in the interest of space, I decided that I
could settle for that quality. Lossless is fine if you're a fanatic
and if you don't have much music (or if you have lots of iPods). :-)

Kirk

                       Author of: iPod & iTunes Garage
                      http://www.mcelhearn.com/ipod.html