[iTunes] Large Library, Slow iTunes

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 18 00:28:56 PDT 2006

On May 18, 2006, at 3:31 AM, Steve wrote:

> Questions:
> 1) Would more ram make a difference or is the bottleneck elsewhere?
> 2) Would putting songs on a Firewire drive improve performance?
> 3) Would having the music folder/all the songs on the same drive
> make a difference in performance?

No, none of them would.

Do you have a lot of smart playlists? They will slow down launch
time, but not much else. I've never heard of any real slowdowns with
truly big libraries, but I've got an article coming up in the new
Macworld about managing music in large libraries (using external
disks for part of the music, for example...).

Kirk
            Author of: Take Control of Users & Accounts in Tiger
                       http://www.mcelhearn.com/tco.html