[iTunes] Sharing a Library and separate ipods

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Sun Oct 8 22:56:18 PDT 2006

David DelMonte wrote:
> We have at home, a shared iTunes library.

Not sure what you mean by this. Where is it located and who shares it?

> My wife and I  would like to be able to each be able to plug our ipods
> into our own computers and update when/what we want.

You each have your own computers. Are they networked over a LAN? Is the
iTunes Library on a shared external hard drive? Do you each have an
unique iTunes Library file on your respective computers?

> Is there a way to do this?
>
> If so, how?

Your description lacks specificity, you don't describe your setup with
any clarity. I can't be specific with a response.

If you each have your own computers, it would seem that you could
simplify the problem by having individual music libraries on each
computer and then connect your individual ipods and make any changes or
updates you like. But given the lack of information, perhaps I simply
don't understand what you are trying to do.

I recommend that you state what computer(s) you have, what OS you are
running, what version of iTunes you have, if and how they are connected,
how you presently share your iTunes library, and a clearer description
of what difficulties you are trying to overcome.

--

Michael Prete