[iTunes] Querying Gracenote CDDB

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Fri Dec 21 09:18:27 PST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Becca Price wrote:

> --- Kirk McElhearn <kirkmc at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> No, sounds more like your ISP has blocked some kinds of
>> traffic...
>
> I didn't think we had nannyware on our ISP, but given the
> problems they've given us in the past, it wouldn't surprise me.
> If we download too much in a 24-hour period (like my Friday
> science podcasts!) the ISP decides that I'm either uploading a
> virus or downloading illegal files, and cuts us back to dialup
> speed for 24 hours. It's a real pain, and I understand there
> have been a lot of complaints about the low level they've set
> for this... we can't look at any videos, for example, without
> this "feature" cutting in.
>
> -becca

Becca: our satellite provider does the same thing -- they call it
their fair use policy, but what it means to me is that they have too
many subscribers and they can't keep up with the demand during busy
times. Ironically, they're giving their subscribers a strong reason
to go somewhere else, once an alternative is available. Not a good
business model, in my view.

For iTunes, I've found a simple way around it -- I download my
podcasts and videos late at night, when very few people are on. The
downloads then come in at full bandwidth instead of being cut back.
Or you do what we all did with dialup -- start a download and go have
a full-course meal, read the newspaper or watch a movie. The big
problem with this approach is time-outs (as it was with dial-up).

Jeff
Carruthers Communications                  Tel: 613-278-0390
678 2nd Concession N Sherbrooke     Cell: 613-720-2350
R.R. 1, McDonalds Corners, ON  K0G 1M0   Fax: 613-278-2929
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com

"There's no such thing as a dumb question." (Anon)