[iTunes] FrankenMac Strikes again!!

cheshirekat cheshirekat at pobox.com
Thu May 10 06:16:24 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 9, 20074:53 PM, the following words from Michael Prete
michaelprete at cox.net, emerged from a plethora of SPAM ...

>Dan A Currie wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> My daughters Beige G3/500, 768 MB RAM, OS 10.2.8 is making her and my
>> life crazy again.
>>
>> I bought her a first generation iShuffle and loaded the software,
>> updated iTunes and followed the instruction. She loaded about forty
>> songs into iTunes from different CD's and uploaded to the iShuffle with
>> no problem.
>>
>> A couple of days ago she uploaded about 15 more songs to the iTunes
>> library and then hooked up the iShuffle, it did not readily show up on
>> the desktop and when it did the last letter in it's name was some
>> unknown letter / character that looked like a trapezoid.
>>
>> I clicked Autofill and it said updating complete but none of the new
>> songs were added. I added 5 songs to the library myself with the same
>> result.
>>
>> Reasonable suggestions welcome,
>
>As opposed to what? Strange limitation to put on a request for help. In
>any case...
>
>You might try this valuable resource provided by Apple, it has
>troubleshooting info:
>
>http://www.apple.com/support/ipodshuffle/
>
>One of the methods suggested is to reset the shuffle. Have you tried
>that? Its a good place to start.

Which shuffle do you have?

I'd check that your shuffle isn't already full. I just got my first iPod
in November and am constantly thinking of the size. Although mine is an
80G video iPod, I have to keep in mind that mp3 files will take up more
room than AAC files. (Before I got my iPod, I didn't convert the mp3
songs I have in my iTunes Library to AAC because those were all CD
imports and that's a task I'll probably continue to put off until my
iPod gets too full and I can't afford another.) So, one of the first
things I would attempt is finding out if the shuffle has reached capacity.

According to Apple's information on the capacity:

How many songs can iPod shuffle hold?
Up to 120 songs on the 512 MB model and up to 240 songs on the 1 GB
model (based on 128 kbps AAC files at 4 minutes per song).

Assuming that only 65 songs have been added, the shuffle is about half
full. If you are sure all the songs are AAC files, then I suggest you
proceed with the troubleshooting steps Apple provides. <http://
docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93867>
--
Music, like religion, unconditionally brings in its train all the moral
virtues to the heart it enters, even though that heart is not in the

* MAC PRO 2 GHz Quad Xeon * OS X 10.4.9 * 3 GB RAM *