[iTunes] Cannot find Burner or software?????

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Sat Sep 29 01:25:41 PDT 2007

John Erdman wrote:
> Kirk - Thought you'd like to know.
>
> Just got off the phone with Apple Care. All fixed. Woo-hoo, I did not
>  have a hardware problem
>
> They had me start up from the original install disk.  Then repair the
> HD and Repair Permissions. Then restarted from the my system HD, and
> had me toss both the caches in my main Library as well as the caches
> in my Home Library.
>
> After restart: everything is hunky dory.  He said that I had a
> corrupted preference file.

Even Macs are happier with some basic maintenance procedures, two of
which is to do disk repair and repair permissions occasionally using
Disk Utility. To easily deal with corrupt preference files, which are
not all that uncommon, try Preferential Treatment. It verifies
preference files and identifies and isolates corrupt ones. You can get
it at versiontracker.com.

Something even better is AppleJack. It performs 5 maintenance procedures
sequentially:
1 Repair Disk
2 Repair Permissions
3 Verify Preference files