[iTunes] Old 20GB 2nd Gen.. Is it alive?

David Delmonte ddelmonte at mac.com
Thu Jan 3 14:34:30 PST 2008

I have been given one of the above.

It was flashing the folder icon and exclamation mark.

I could see it in DU and erased it. That worked.

I could even see it in iTunes and add music.

However, when I disconnect it, I got either just the folder again or
the check mark.

I can reset it but I cannot use it - same reasons as above.

I took it apart and reset everything. Now it "boots" with the Apple
but goes no further. I can hear the disk "clicking".

I'm thinking that the disk has crashed.

I see the Apple so does that mean the logic board is ok?

If the consensus is yes, I will replace the drive (and the battery for
good measure.

If the consensus is that it's a logic board failure, I need to recycle
it.

Thanks for any advice.

David