[iTunes] itunes seems to be broken

Ken Stevens kestevens at mac.com
Tue Jan 29 18:46:27 PST 2008

> well, the counter still doesn't seem to work, but I've solved
> the problem, although I haven't found the reason why.
>
> I deleted all the files from the computer, shut down iTunes,
> then turned off my computer and let it sit for a bit. I then
> started up the computer again, started up iTunes again, and
> re-imported the files, and they came in just fine.

LOL I had forgotten the days when I still had a PC.  Quitting and
rebooting
was always one of my favorite bag of tricks.  It sounds like the
library file was
corrupted.  If that was the case you could find a file on your
computer named
iTunes Library and delete it.  Then reimport the files from the iTunes
Music
folder.    My podcasts from Radio Ireland don't increment. play count
but all
others work ok.

> it's a pain the counter doesn't work, however... I'd gotten used
> to files being dropped from my smart play list after I'd
> listened to them... made keeping track of where I was in my book
> much easier.

When you rip an audio book you might try using AAC* format rather than
MP3.
I join all the tracks on a CD by selecting all the tracks and choosing
"Join
Tracks" under the Advanced Menu.  I then find the files in the iTunes
music
folder and change the suffex from m4a to m4b.  This makes them
bookmarkable.
I then reimport them into iTunes and they are listed under Audio
Books.  Now
if I stop listening the computer or iPod remembers where I was when I
get back
to the book.  This might solve your play count issue also.

I just finished ripping Pillars of the Earth - 32 CDs.

Ken

*Preferences/Advanced/Importing