[iTunes] iTunes: podcasts problem

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Sun Jul 6 13:25:25 PDT 2008

On Jul 6, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Becca wrote:

> --- On Sun, 7/6/08, Ken Stevens <kestevens at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi Becca:
>
>> 1. Under the advanced tab in your menu bar there is a
>> "Consolidate Library" item. If you choose this option iTunes will
>> search your hard
>> drive and copy all iTunes compatiblefiles to your Music Folder.
>> Now you should go back and
>> delete these items from other folders where they exist or you will
>> have duplicates, one
>> in the music folder and one where-ever iTunes found it.
>
> I spent such a long time organizing my music and audiobooks on my
> hard drive - will this copy every thing to someplace else? we have
> my hd partitioned, with one of them being the data drive; on that
> drive/partition, I have a folder titled Books and Music - books are
> in one sub-folder and music in another. Will this consolidation move
> everything over to the applications drive/partition where iTunes
> resides?

Perhaps your folder system is the source of your troubles. Your
computer doesn't think like you do. Imposing a system on iTunes that
makes sense to you hasn't helped, it may be the problem.

> what if I don't want them there?

I suppose it depends upon what is important to you, your personal
filing system or the proper functioning of iTunes.

>> 2.  If you don't have too many, simply click on the exclamation point
>> and iTunes will ask you if you want to find the file.  Click "yes"
>> and
>> navigate to the proper file.  When you find it, select
>> it and click "open" and it will be added to your library.
>
> how do I know where to find the podcasts?

You can do a search for them. XP has a search function.

> becca, feeling really stupid and overwhelmed at the chaos this
> problem has caused

You really should have a good backup. If you do, you should be able to
experiment with these suggestions, and be able to return to your
previous setup if you don't like the results. I know I can do that
with my Mac. There is software to clone my entire hard drive, so that
I have a total, complete and accurate copy (definition of a clone, I
suppose) of my hard drive. Then, when I install new software or make
some big changes, I am confident that if it all turns to crap, I can
simply revert to my backup and erase the mistake and begin again.

The iTunes preferences/advanced allow you to specify and/or change the
location of your iTunes Library folder. Everything that iTunes needs
to access should be in that folder for optimum functioning. I allow
iTunes to arrange the files as it wishes, and I don't encounter the
problems you seem to be having. This whole saga reminds me of a
Chinese proverb:

If you continue to do what you've always done,
You will continue to get what you've always gotten.

I would also suggest you consider Macintosh the next time you shop for
a computer. I've used both, and I wouldn't own a PC anymore. My
reasons have to do with Window's non-intuitive filing system and the
difficulty in accomplishing what should be simple tasks.

Good luck with this, be sure to share how you finally overcome the
problem.

Michael Prete

More will be revealed.