[iTunes] rebuilding iTunes library

Becca becca_price at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 08:28:47 PDT 2008

After my Big Crash of a few weeks ago, I've decided not to bring all my books and music back into iTunes unless/until I decide I need it for some reason. For example, I have all my Great Big Sea music on my iPod already, so there's no need to bring it back into iTunes; Emerald Rose isn't on my iPod, and I want it there, so I'll bring all those into iTunes so I can load it. The missing books and music exist on my computer, and I've figured out the very odd way iTunes backed up everything before The Crash (audible books are in folders by author; my other books are in a big folder called Audio Books - music is scattered, based on how lazy I was when I loaded it.).

I did re-bring in all my Audible books and put them in play lists and folders. When I'm feeling obsessive, I might bring in some of my series books: I have some Terry Pratchett in audible files and some as regular mp3s, for example.

My question is this: what file should I periodically back up (the iTunesLibrary.xml file?) just in case something like this happens again, so I don't have to rebuild my library yet again?

-becca