[iTunes] iTunes behind the times

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Wed May 21 09:51:35 PDT 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 1:41 AM, Louis wrote:

> Am I one of the first to want to do away with CDs and
> convert all my music to MP3s?

Not by a long shot.

> iTunes's antiquated features makes this a dicey
> proposition.

iTunes is antiquated? My impression is that until iTunes, everything
else sucked so bad that non-geeks never felt comfortable manipulating
MP3's until it came along. Given that the combination of the ease and
convenience of iTunes combined with the superior design and function
of iPods, iPods have now crushed the market, gaining over 75% of total
market share. That didn't happen with the other software that existed
before iTunes.

> iTunes not only provides poor filing/organization
> options, the few options that they do offer (e.g.
> playlists and folders) cannot be copied or backed up
> to an external memory device. At least that i know of!
> This is a major drawback.

You reveal the weakness of your argument. You simply don't know what
you are talking about. There is a specific backup function under the
File menu (in the Mac version) called, wait for it, "Back up to
disc...". If you didn't know that, which is not difficult to find and
is logically placed, I suspect you also simply don't know how the
excellent filing/organization options work either.

Perhaps you might consider taking advantage of the excellent tutorials
that Apple offers that would show you how to use this application?

http://www.apple.com/itunes/tutorials/

> Does anybody know of a more up-to-date MP3 program
> that offers better file management? And reproducible
> file features?

I'm not aware of any. Notice that I acknowledge when I don't know
something, rather than just state that "There are none".
Michael Prete

More will be revealed.