[iTunes] can't select "remember playback position"

Dale Shera dshera at mac.com
Sat Feb 21 10:15:07 PST 2009

On Feb 21, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Becca wrote:

> Just got a new book (Promises in Death - Yea!) from
> audiobookstand.com, in mp3 format. It loaded into iTunes just fine.
>
> But... the option to select for Remember Playback Position is grayed
> out. I can't modify anything in the Info screen - all I can do is
> select whether it's music or audiobook.
>
> Without resume, the files are (practically) worthless - J.D Robb
> tends to write long chapters, and to have to start at the beginning
> of each chapter again will be too frustrating for words.
>
> Has anyone ever had a problem like this before? Is there anything I
> can do about it?

First, set up iTunes:

Go to Edit--Preferences
Select the "General" tab
Beside "When you insert a CD", click "Import Settings..."
In the list for "Import Using" select "AAC Encoder"
In the list for "Setting", select "Spoken Podcast"
Click the "OK" button.

Second, in your iTunes Music Library, left click on the mp3 file you
want to make into an audiobook to select it. Then, right click and
select "Create AAC Version". The AAC conversion will begin.

Third, when the conversion is done, select your new file by left
clicking on it once. Then, right click and select "Get Info". Click on
the "Options" tab. Beside "Media Kind", select "Audiobook". Click the
checkbox beside "Remember playback position". Click "OK".

iTunes will now remember your playback location when you listen to
this file. Your iPod will also recognize your playback location after
you sync it with your PC.

Dale