[iTunes] I hate iTunes 8

Ken Stevens kestevens at mac.com
Thu Jan 8 14:52:49 PST 2009

I don't know how you have most of your podcast settings.  Most of mine
are set to "Download the most recent one".  I just tried something.  I
went into iTunes
settings and changed the drop down menu to "do nothing"  I then
changed my clock and did a refresh.  Two podcasts that were set to
"download all" were downloaded,
but not the others.  I then changed the clock back and changed the
settings back to "Download the most recent."  I successfully changed
the iTunes time without
downloading a whole bunch of podcasts.

An alternative is to sleep until 5:30 am or so and then do the time
change trick back to 3 am, its not much but its an extra 2 and half
hours sleep.  When I had DirectTV
for my internet access the "golden time" was more generous,  something
like 11pm - 6 am.

Make sure you leave iTunes running when you go to bed.  iTunes will
not start itself to download podcasts.  Does your computer go into
standby mode after a time of inactivity?
I don't know if iTunes can bring the PC out of standby mode.

How did the library situation resolve?

Ken