[iTunes] ARUGH about podcast downloads

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Wed Jan 21 23:27:00 PST 2009

On Jan 21, 2009, at 7:47 PM, Becca wrote:

>  think there's an arrogance that people who live in cities have -
> don't realize that there's a lot of us who *don't* have access to
> cable or DSL. And I've heard that there are some providers (like
> Comcast) who arbitrarily and without warning cut off downloads they
> consider "too big" because obviously someone who is *honest*
> wouldn't be doing that big a download... makes it hard for people
> who work at home and have to fileshare.

I would suggest that the arrogance is attributable to Comcast, not
people who live in cities. The people who make those sorts of
decisions are ISP executives, not Joe the Plumber who lives in
Chicago. I'm hopeful that President Obama is aware of this
manipulation on the part of ISPs and is ready to generate some
changes. He has already promised to spend some stimulus money on
improving the infrastructure. Lets hope that it includes broadband
accessible to all. Seems like 70 years ago it was a governmental
agency that was responsible for "rural electrification" when the power
companies decided it wasn't profitable to run power lines out to rural
homes. Now history repeats itself with broadband instead of electrical
power.

I don't mean to be argumentative here, but if you aren't clear on who
is responsible for the poor decisions that result in your pain, you
can't be effective in generating change.

Michael Prete

More will be revealed.